Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week 2- Greece Travel Brochure and E-Portfolio



MICROSOFT PUBLISHER

In this week’s lecture and workshop we learned how to use Microsoft Publisher and about E-Portfolios and I think both these will and can be useful both in the personal front and in the classroom front. In the workshop we were asked to create a brochure about somewhere you traveled in the world in the past using Microsoft Publisher. Automatically, Greece came to my mind. This country has stuck with me ever since I stepped foot on it in the Summer 2007. My friend Hilary and I

went there, along with Spain, Italy and England, BUT Greece and the Greek Islands http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greece/travel-tips-and-articles/1010 were hands down our favorite. The food, the people, the beaches, the heat, the culture, the history, I just became so enchanted with the whole country that I just can’t wait to go back.


In the workshop I wanted to show why Greece was so luring and I think I did so though my travel brochure. Here is a travel video on Greece that I used in my travels. Just in case you want see what it is all about yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECSuwq2fKgU.  

This was the first time I used Microsoft Publisher and I thought that once the instructions were properly explained, maneuvering through the database became quite straightforward. Now, I am sure I only got introduced to one section of the program but, regardless, the part I was using became easier and easier to navigate and play around with over the course of the workshop. I completed my brochure by being creative, cutting relevant pictures from different websites and using quotes from the lonely planet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greece.






I found this activity to be very fascinating because everyone had a different idea, concept and design in mind. It was quite interesting to see who chose what country and why they were passionate about it. By enticing interest about something everyone is interested in, it will create an enthusiastic and exciting classroom environment. The program is straightforward and quite easy to navigate around so it can easily be used in a primary classroom as well.
I think it could be applied to a humanities lesson, using the same lesson structure as we did in our workshop. It can also be applied in an English or math lesson about a book or an advertisement for a store. The student will obviously get really excited and will want to speak about what they did so it also can be used for oral presentations. Overall, I thought it was a great program and I look forward to using it again.

P.S.: Just for fun here are some Trivia Questions...Let's see how knowledgeable you are in Greek History, Mythology, Geography or Culture?

http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/humanities/mythology__legends/greek_myth.html

Write your scores and what game you played in the comment box below...




E-PORTFOLIO




I thought the E-Portfolio to be a little more complex than Microsoft Publisher. I didn’t quite understand how to utilize it. It seemed much more intricate and complex to me. I need much more practice with the program because I know it can and will be beneficial to be personally and professionally. The E-Portfolio can be used in possible teaching job interviews. It is a reflection of who you are, why you want the job, your qualifications, what you have done, and whom you know. It is allowing you to reflect on who you are and what your purpose you have and want. It also illustrates to the interviewers that you are in touch with yourself and with the evolving technological times.

I think this program and document is fundamental for teachers, however, it can also be utilized in class. Students can make profiles of themselves, their work, their progression, assessment, and interests whereby the parents can see how they are developing and where they need improvement. It is clear, that both Microsoft Publisher and E-Portfolios are current and relatable to the teacher, the students and the community.






What do you think this image represents??? Write your comments below in the comment box?!










Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment